141. What was the main disadvantage of vacuum tubes?
A) They were larger in size
B) They consumed a lot of electricity
C) They produced heat and often burned out
D) The operation cost was high
Ans : C ( They produced heat and often burned out )
142. Registers, which are partially visible to users and used to hold conditional, are known as
B) Memory address registers
C) General purpose register
Ans : C (General purpose register )
143. Which is not a computer of first generation?
C) IBM 360
D) IBM 1401
Ans : D ( IBM 1401 )
144. Registers which are partially visible to users and used to hold conditional codes (bits set by the CPU hardware as the result of operations), are known as
C) Memory Address Registers
D) General Purpose Registers
Ans : B ( Flags )
145. Who invented vacuum tubes?
A) John Bardeen
B) William Shockley
C) Lee de Forest
D) All of above
Ans : C ( Lee de Forest )
146. An approach that permits the computer to work on several programs instead of one is
A) On-line thesaurus
C) Over lapped processing
D) Outline processor
Ans : C ( Over lapped processing )
147. Who suggested Stored Program Concept
A) John Mauchley
B) J.P. Eckert
C) John Neumann
D) Joseph Jacquard
Ans : C ( John Neumann )
148. The central processing unit (CPU) consists of
A) Input, output and processing
B) Control unit, primary storage, and secondary storage
C) Control unit, arithmetic-logic unit and primary storage
D) Control unit, processing, and primary storage
Ans : C ( Control unit, arithmetic-logic unit and primary storage )
149. The notable features like keyboards, monitors, GUI were developed in
A) First generation
B) Second generation
C) Third generation
D) Fourth generation
Ans : C ( Third generation )
150. UNIVAC is
A) Universal Automatic Computer
B) Universal Array Computer
C) Unique Automatic Computer
D) Unvalued Automatic Computer
Ans : A ( Universal Automatic Computer )
151. Which is the highest form?
D) All of above
Ans : C ( Knowledge )
152. Who is credited with the idea of using punch cards to control patterns in a waving machine?
Ans : D ( Jacquard )
153. What is an interpreter?
A) An interpreter does the conversion line by line as the program is run
B) An interpreter is the representation of the system being designed
C) An interpreter is a general purpose language providing very efficient execution
D) None of the above
Ans : B ( An interpreter is the representation of the system being designed )
154. Which is a semi conductor memory?
D) Both a & b
Ans : D ( Both a & b )
155. RJ45 UTP cable has Cables.
A) 2 pair
B) 3 pair
C) 4 pair
D) 5 pair
Ans : C ( 4 pair )
156. Which of the following is not a valid size of a Floppy Disk?
B) 5 ¼?
C) 3 ½?
D) 5 ½?
Ans : D ( 5 ½? )
157. The earliest calculating devices are
C) Difference Engine
D) None of these
Ans : A ( Abacus )
158. Word length of a Personal Computer is
A) 4 bits
B) 8 bits
C) 16 bits
D) 64 bits
Ans : B ( 8 bits )
159. What was the first computer to perform all calculation using electronics rather than wheels, ratchets, or mechanical switches?
A) Mark I
D) None of above
Ans : B ( ABC )
160. A directly accessible appointment calendar is feature of a resident package
Ans : B ( Memory )